Army, Boko Haram engage in gun battle, 15 insurgents killed

No fewer than  15 Boko Haram fighters were  killed in a dawn attack on a contingent of soldiers from 3 Battalion and 112 Task Force Battalion stationed in Rann, Borno State on Friday.TROOPS IN ACTIONThe troops overpowered the invaders killing 15 on the spot,while the rest took to their heels.

The terrorists were believed to be among those recently dislodged from Sambisa Forest

Military sources said yesterday that the shootout lasted several hours.

Four soldiers were wounded  but were subsequently evacuated by a Nigerian Air Force (NAF) Augusta Helicopter, a recent addition to the NAF’s fleet from the Presidential Air Fleet (PAF) to Maiduguri,the state capital.

The attack came a week after President Muhammadu Buhari said Boko Haram fighters had been routed from the forest which had served as their operational base for several years.

A military  source in the NAF said: “four wounded soldiers were today evacuated from the battle front in Rann to Maiduguri for medical treatment.”

The wounded soldiers were given first aid treatment aboard the helicopter on the way to Maiduguri by the Air Force personnel.

It was gathered that the NAF responded swiftly  to a call for evacuation of the wounded soldiers.

The Theater Commander, Operation LafiyaDole, Major General Leo Iraboh said  troops began advance on Sambisa Forest Camp Zairo on December  22, 2016 at about 0800hrs with the complementary deployment of Air Force jets and artillery.

The Theater Commander insisted that the Army is in firm  control of Sambisa forest despite the video recording posted this week by the elusive Boko Haram leader, Abubakar Shekau denying the claims. Major General Iraboh said the Army is currently pursuing fleeing remnants of the terrorist and would not rest until they are totally routed.



This post has been seen 938 times.

About AYO OLOWO

Ayo Olowo is a writer, a web developer, an online marketer. My interest is in sports and international affairs.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

x

Check Also

13 persons confirmed dead in Borno multiple explosions

The Police Command in Borno on Thursday confirmed the killing of 13 persons after Wednesdays multiple attack in Maiduguri. Mr Damian Chukwu, the Commissioner of Police in the state, disclosed this in Maiduguri at a news conference on the attack. ...

Boko Haram storm Maiduguri; military responds with merciless op, eliminate terrorists

There was pandemonium in Maiduguri, capital of Borno state, as Boko Haram insurgents attacked communities in Addawari village, Jiddari-Polo area, shooting sporadically. According to a resident; “We have been indoors for the past two hours. Sounds of gunshot everywhere. We can’t even go ...

UA-38867477-1