UPDATED: 2 quarantined in Lagos as Nigeria records 31 suspected cases of Monkeypox

The commissioner for health in Lagos State, Jide Idris, on Monday disclosed that two suspected cases of monkeypox have been recorded in the state.

Idris told journalists at a press conference that it had become necessary to sensitise residents about the viral disease  which had earlier been reported in three states: Bayelsa, Akwa Ibom and Rivers.

He assured residents of the state that measures had been put in place to prevent the spread of the virus.

Meanwhile, Dr Chikwe Ihekweazu, the national coordinator, Nigeria Centre for Disease Control, NCDC, has said 31 suspected cases of Monkeypox have so far been reported in seven states across the country.

Ihekweazu, who made this known in Abuja on Monday said following the notification of a suspected Monkeypox outbreak on Sept. 22, 2017, in Bayelsa, other suspected cases have been reported from six more states.

He listed the affected states as Bayelsa, Rivers, Ekiti, Akwa Ibom, Lagos, Ogun and Cross Rivers.

Ihekweazu said that samples had been collected from each suspected case for laboratory confirmation.

“Results are still being awaited. So far, there have been no deaths recorded.

“It is unlikely that many of the suspected cases are actually Monkeypox, but all are being investigated.

“All the suspected cases are currently receiving appropriate medical care, and the patients are all improving clinically in their various states,’’ he said.

Ihekweazu said that the federal ministry of health, through the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control, NCDC, was supporting the affected states to ensure the outbreak is brought under control.

“NCDC has activated an Emergency Operation Centre, EOC, to coordinate the outbreak investigation and response across the affected states.

“The EOC is currently supporting state ministries of health in their response to the outbreak through active case finding, epidemiological investigation and contact tracing.

“Measures have been put in place to ensure effective sample collection and testing for laboratory confirmation.

“Risk communication activities have been heightened to advise the public on preventive measures. All 36 States and the FCT have been notified for preparedness,’’ he said.



This post has been seen 1052 times.

About AYO OLOWO

Ayo Olowo is a writer, a web developer, an online marketer. My interest is in sports and international affairs.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

x

Check Also

What you didn’t know about “Odi Massacre”, Bolou, former Bayelsa commissioner narrates the ordeal

It was on November 20, 1999, that the Nigerian military, allegedly acting on the orders of then President, Chief Olusegun Obasanjo, invaded Odi, a predominantly Ijaw community in Kolokuma/Opokuma Local Government Area of Bayelsa State, and wreaked monumental havoc on ...

Sanusi’s first son graduates from Nigeria Police Academy

Aminu Sanusi, the first son of Muhammad Sanusi II, emir of Kano, who has a degree in accounting from the University of Buckingham, UK, has joined the Nigeria Police Force (NPF). The young Sanusi graduated from the Plateau academy of ...

Social Media Auto Publish Powered By : XYZScripts.com
UA-38867477-1