Spanish authorities revealed that Younes Abouyaaqoub, the suspected “Barcelona attacker” (driver of the vehicle that killed 13 people in Barcelona), has been shot and killed.
He was wearing what looked like an explosive belt at the time, police said.
Earlier this morning, police formally named Abouyaaqoub as the driver of a van that ploughed down Barcelona’s crowded Las Ramblas promenade Thursday, killing 13 and injuring many more.
Some Spanish media, citing investigative sources, said police had shot dead 22-year-old Younes Abouyaaqoub, on the run since Thursday when he drove at high speed into heavy crowds strolling along Barcelona’s most famous avenue, Las Ramblas.
It was Spain’s worst militant attack in over a decade, with Islamic State claiming responsibility.
Local media said the man was spotted by a woman in the early afternoon and then fled through vineyards but police managed to find and shoot him on a road near a sewage treatment plant.
Police had asked the rest of Europe to join the manhunt for the Moroccan-born man. They say he fled Las Ramblas on foot amid the chaos of the attack then hijacked a car, stabbing the driver to death, before crashing through a police checkpoint.
This post has been seen 2588 times.