Home LOCAL Nigeria records 1,331 deaths in road accidents within three months – NBS

Nigeria records 1,331 deaths in road accidents within three months – NBS

28
0
FILE PHOTO: Accident Scene

The National Bureau of Statistics, NBS, has revealed that about 1,331 Nigerians died in road accidents in the second quarter of 2018.

This was contained in a report released on Tuesday entitled; “NBS Road Transport Data (Q2 2018).”

According to the report, 1,257 of the 1,331 Nigerians that got killed were adults, representing 94 percent, while the remaining 74 Nigerians, representing 6 percent of the figure were children.

The figure also revealed that “1,047 male Nigerians, representing 79%, got killed in road crashes in Q2 while 284 female Nigerians, representing 21% got killed.”

The NBS in the report identified speed violation as the major cause of crashes in the three months under review.

“The Q2 2018 road transport data reflected that 2,608 road crashes occurred within the quarter under review. Speed violation is reported as the major cause of road crashes in Q2 and it accounted for 50.65% of the total road crashes reported.

“Tyre burst and dangerous driving followed closely as they both accounted for 8.59% and 8.40% of the total road crashes recorded,” NBS said.

NBS said further that a total of 8,437 Nigerians got injured in the road traffic crashes recorded in the second quarter of 2018.

“7,946 of the 8,437 Nigerians that got injured, representing 94% of the figure, are adults while the remaining 491 Nigerians, representing 6% of the figure are children. 6,415 male Nigerians, representing 76%, got injured in road crashes in Q2 while 2,022 female Nigerians, representing 24% got injured.”

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.